The SM-DP is used in an M2M RSP environment. It’s function is to take the raw profile information from an MNO, personalise it with the appropriate IMSI/Ki pair information and convert it into a form that is suitable for transmission by the SM-SR to the eUICC.
The process for a profile download in an M2M environment is as follows:
- SMS sent to eUICC by the SM-SR via the SMSC belonging to the provider of the provisioning profile to trigger a session
- eUICC requests that the device sets up a data session using BIP and the URL ( or IP address ) of the SM-SR ( contained in the SMS )
- CAT_TP or HTTPS transport link established between eUICC and SM-SR ( ES5 )
- A secure channel is established between the SM-DP and eUICC
- A profile download is initiated by the SM-DP
Remote Application Management ( RAM ) or Remote File Management ( RFM ) can be implemented between the SM and eUICC using the data connection as per above or simply using SMS.